Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The soul of my soul?

I was wondering today about our modern life. One aspect jumped out at me, the miniscule amount of time many of us spend in reflection. I know this topic is nothing new, but I have to admit that it kind of jolted me. It jolted me because I was thinking how intense and imposing modern life is and yet how little we have time to consider some of the deep realities we face, some wonderful and some, well, harrowing. I 'walked' a circle in these thoughts for a time and came back where I was bound to come back to, prayer. Lately I keep settling on the inner life and its relation to artistic creativity.

Can we overemphasize the inner life of man? Where will our deepest longings, our yearnings, our wanderings, or wonderings, and even our cravings be satisfied here on earth? St. Augustine knew from experience that the soul is restless indeed, yet the restlessness has its remedy. Catherine Doherty, speaking of prayer, said "prayer is the soul of my soul." From where do we receive our strength (when there is none), our convictions, our inspirations? Are we truly humble? Humble. Humble. Grasp it. Humble. Humility not self determination. When was the last time I asked Christ what he wanted me to do in a particular area? Asked for his help? Do I trust him with what I am involved with?

Art comes from within. Have you ever heard it said that you can learn alot about a culture, a people by their art? That principle is the outer edge of the onion, at the heart of it is the artist. Are we products of our envirionments or creators of it? And what is the soul of MY soul?